Pages

1/15/13

What I learned from my journey with depression

Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging.
—Joseph Campbell, American mythologist and writer
Let me be clear. Given a choice, I would have never chosen to go through what I did, no matter how well-off I may be today. There is none redeeming aspect of being severely clinically depressed.

Saying that, after my recovery I did take away some great insights:

I have learned to put my problems into perspective and choose which ones really matter. I gained confidence in my resilience, knowing that I can endure almost any amount of pain. I have learned to appreciate my health, peace of mind, and the ability to enjoy life. I have learned my limits, my desires, and my passions, as a result of becoming really self aware; I am now more in touch with my feeling--I've learned to identify them more clearly, and I've learned more effective---and healthier--ways to regulate my feelings. I've learned to recognize where my comfort zones lie and how to push through them. And much more....

I am also aware of the responsibility that such awareness brings--that it is rare and needs to be put to good use. This awareness has inspired me--and instilled the duty--to dedicate my life to helping those suffering from mental illness, to spread awareness about mental illness, and to fight the stigma surrounding mental illness that adds to the suffering and prevents people from seeking help.